Friday, October 20, 2006

Seeing Through Them...


It is interesting to know that in order to see your friends’ true colors simply wait for a situation in which their priorities must be put into question. Not just any kind of situation where they can make something up, but a situation in which they can either stand to gain or to lose. There has to be some sort of incentive otherwise they can just say whatever they wish and be convincing of it. Throughout this process which I am undergoing I notice that a lot of true colors begin to come out.

I have started to see and hear that the people I used to call my close friends are not that at all. In fact, it seems as if though they would rather listen to your story out of amusement and as a source of gossip rather than for what it is. The worst is when they present their case as to why you could trust them. In my case I listened to one person lie to my face about certain things going on in their world after having been assured that my trust in them is being reciprocated. Quite frankly I do not care what goes on in other people’s lives so long as I am not involved. I do not care if people want to share their issues and secrets with me after telling them mine. What I do not appreciate is being lied to for the sake of creating a false sense of reciprocation or a sense of mutual trust.

I find it amusing, and unfortunate, how people feel like they have to go through the motions and protocols of what a meaningful friendship is supposed to be like. As if though there were a recipe for making a strong friendship. I know some people that are so touched by the feeling of a true friendship that they begin to fear the loss of it, like an addict. The fear consumes them and they start to look for ways to hold on, as if though they are looking for some sort of collateral to hedge against such a loss. I find that these people become that way because they themselves are unable to extend such feelings so they create false and empty reasons as to WHY the other person cannot simply walk away from them. This one is hard for me to explain.

In essence I am simply seeing what people are all about when it comes to friendships. I am finding that some of my friends spend more energy trying to create some sort of stereotypical meaning (despite how fake it is) as opposed to simply being and letting oneself go and eventually growing a natural and meaningful friendship. It is like that one guy in your class back in college who spends more time trying to cheat than actually studying (there is always one in each class). Had they focused that much energy into studying as opposed to cheating they would probably be stellar students.

Despite this I am still hopeful that I will make great friendships in the future. I know and am fortunate enough to have great spirits in my life as it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page